Monday, January 2, 2023

Fatburger's Triumvirate of Plant-Based Burgers: A Review

Fatburger stands out among fast-food purveyors in that it offers more than one vegetarian option. Indeed, Fatburger boasts a whopping three non-meat burgers: the Veggie Burger, the California Veggie, and the Impossible Fatburger. So, just recently, I was determined to undertake a small feat of consumption by ingesting all three of Fatburger's plant-based offerings in order to determine for myself which one was the best.

First, I need to offer some brief notes on methodology. I ordered all three burgers with the full spectrum of toppings. Also, I consumed all three burgers simultaneously, going back and forth between each one. I did this in order to avoid bias based on hunger, or eventual lack thereof. Had I eaten the burgers in sequence, being full would likely have factored into my judgement of whatever burger I had consumed last. In a similar spirit, I will now evaluate the burgers in no particular order.


The standard "Veggie Burger" offers what Fatburger describes as a "real" veggie patty and is topped with mustard, relish, onion, pickles, tomato, fresh-cut lettuce, and mayonnaise. The veggie patty struck me as serviceable but somewhat undistinguished with respect to other comparable patties. That said, the patty accentuated the actual vegetables, particularly the lettuce and tomato, very capably.

The "California Veggie" is once again based around the veggie patty as per the standard veggie, and is topped with guacamole, double Swiss, tomato, lettuce, mayo and, for an extra charge, a fried egg. Needless to say, there's a lot going on with this burger. I added to the chaos by opting for the fried egg topping, which some might argue disqualifies this burger from constituting a properly vegetarian dish. Regardless of that, we'll take the broadest definition of "vegetarian" here. I quite enjoyed the tasty disarray of this burger, with its multifarious flavor and texture sensations provided by the guacamole, the Swiss cheese, and the egg.

The "Impossible Fatburger" distinguishes itself from the other non-meat burgers by way of its "Impossible" plant-based patty, not to mention its toasted Brioche bun. This burger is topped with "crisp lettuce" and "ripe tomato", as per the menu's description, as well as cheese, red onion, pickles, relish, mustard, and mayo. The Brioche Bun added a touch of panache to the plant-based experience, and it worked well texturally with the Impossible patty.

All told, I enjoyed all three burgers, and was full beyond satisfaction upon finishing them. That said, I can make a clear discernment in quality. The bronze medal goes to the standard Veggie Burger. It compares favorably to most burger joints' veggie offerings, but it is rather milquetoast relative to Fatburger's other options. The silver medal goes to the California Veggie. It offers so much in terms of taste and texture, though it does make quite a mess. The gold must go, then, to the Impossible Fatburger. The Impossible patty has its charms, though I wouldn't say it's appreciably better than the "real" veggie. To my tastes, the toasted Brioche bun sets the Impossible Fatburger apart as the frontrunner. It makes for a classier eating experience than the California Veggie, and so it takes first place. (I guess I did, in the preceding paragraphs, present these burgers in order, after all.)

These judgments aside, there is not a weak burger in the Fatburger veggie-option bunch, and I'd order them all again. Curiously enough, the California Veggie will probably be my go-to going forward. Admittedly, I enjoy the messy eating experience, and the sheer sensory assault of the guacamole, double Swiss, and the runny egg atop it all. But don't take this as a reversal of my position: the Impossible Fatburger is the better-tasting, tidier, and classier option.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would be honored to have you troll me...